Monday, March 30, 2009

What Lies Ahead



"Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."

Psalm 37:4

Throughout my life, one thing I have always struggled with was looking for my peace of mind in the circumstances of my life. As long as the circumstances in my life were good, I was happy. However it was when things and circumstances in my life turned south or not as I would want them, that I would begin to stay up all night pondering on what to do and try to picture how things would unfold from here. It was during those times where my joy would seem to fade.

As Christians we need something that will help us when we don't know what to do or where to turn. And so we should turn to God, and pray for the solution that we can't seem to find. But God has more for us that just a solution, for He wants to do more for us than just solve a problem or answering a question on our hearts.

One of my memories as a kid, was when my dad would give me an allowance of 25 cents a week. I remember he would never just give it to me unless my mom told him to, but he would hold it tightly in his hand and turn it into a game. I had to pry his fingers open one by one to get it. I remember he would drag this game out and would make me pry with all my might until I had each finger pried back, until I got the quarter. I remember as soon as I got the quarter I would take it a run to my piggy bank, which really was a pig, and count all my money.

As Christians we sometimes when we come to God, we come for the quarter in his hand. God I need a job. God I need to do well. God I need a such and such. When we reach for the quarter, and when God grants our prayer we push his hand away and go on with our lives. But I Must remind myself that God offers us something so more valuable than just the quarter in his hand, but he offers us His hand. God offers us a relationship, not just a solution to the troubles that keep us up at night, but offers us a companionship with himself through his son Jesus Christ, and it is in that friendship that we will ultimately find joy.

That is why in Psalm 37, the Psalmist exhorts us to take delight in the Lord, for it is through friendship with Jesus that we find the desires of our heart met beyond expectation.

"There's no better way to insure a good nights sleep than through knowing God is your friend and knowing that you can enjoy that friendship forever."

2 comments:

kyle said...

This is a great post nick. I love the story about you and your father... God truly is there for us in every difficult situation.

GraceFullMom said...

Nick- I really like the story w/your Dad & the quarter. Fantastic analogy. Thanks for sharing what the Lord is showing you! Keep it up!