Friday, May 30, 2008

Memorization of Scriptures


When I think of memorization, I think of all of the hours and time spent in the library studying for exams. Blah. This past weekend at New Attitude one of the topics spoken about was the memorization of Scripture and how important that was.

When Scripture is stored in the mind, it is available for the Holy Spirit to take and bring to your attention when you need it most. In Psalm 119 it says that, "I have hidden your word in my heart that I may not sin against you"

It is one thing when you are going through your daily life and a certain temptation pops in your head or you are watching or thinking about something you shouldn't and you realize you shouldn't so you stop. However it is even more 'powerful' against the temptation when a specific verse can be brought to your mind. In Colossians 3:2 it states to set your minds on the things above and not on earthly things.

I think a good illustration is the time Jesus had a confrontation with Satin. Every time the enemy through a temptation at Jesus, He parried it with 'the sword of the Spirit' as Piper would say. I think one way that we would be able to fight against temptations is to do like Jesus did, memorize Scripture so that it's available in our minds when we need it the most.

To me memorization also strengthens my faith because it repeatedly reinforces the truth. In Pipers message he said how every day he would write a Scripture on a note card and stick it in his pocket, and that throughout the day he would pull it out and read it which would help him memorize it.

One area I was convicted on this past week at New Attitude was not just the memorization of Scriptures, but the memorization of the songs we sing to praise him as well. Yes, some of the songs were new to me however, there are sometimes I don't know all the words to songs that I have been singing for years, but yet I know the words to the songs that are played daily on the radio.

Proverbs 22:17-19

Incline your ear, and hear the words of the wise, and apply your heart to my knowledge, for it will be pleasant if you keep them within you, if all of them are ready on your lips. That your trust may be in the Lord, I have made them known to you today, even to you.

No comments: