Monday, March 24, 2008

The Empty Cup











The first thing that stood out to me in this chapter was that we need to realize the seriousness of sin. All sin is rebellion against God's authority, a despising of His Law, and a defiance of His commands.

W.S. Plumer writes, "We never see sin aright until we see it as against God. All sin is against God in this sense that it is His Law that is broken, His authority that is despised, His government that is set at naught."

Another thing that stood out to me in this chapter talked about the Cup of Wrath. Bridges asks us, "What was in the cup?"

It was the wrath of God. It was the cup of wrath that we should have drunk. Jesus as our representative drank the cup of God's wrath in our place. He drained it to its dregs. He tasted the last drop. And HE did it for us as our substitute.

Jesus was forsaken by the Father because of our sin. He drank the cup of God's wrath to endure the judgment and punishment that was due to us.

The last thing that stood out to me in this chapter, talked about the Love of God.

God showed his love among us in that He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. (1 John 4:9-10)

I am reminded of this song, "How Deep the Father's Love for us"

HOW DEEP THE FATHER’S LOVE FOR US,
How vast beyond all measure,
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure.
How great the pain of searing loss –
The Father turns His face away,
As wounds which mark the Chosen One
Bring many sons to glory.



:)

1 comment:

Lana said...

On one side I can feel so overcome by my sin to the point where I'm making my sin bigger than what Christ accomplished on the cross. And on the other side I can trivialize it because I know I'm forgiven. It is so important to have a deep sense of grief over sinning against God and then trust in His sacrifice at the same time. This was a good reminder of that for me...great post!