Sunday, March 30, 2008

Gift of God



Bridges starts off this Chapter by asking us, "How do we get faith?" I believe that faith is a gift of God.

Pauls writings are filled with descriptions of our spiritual condition before we became belivers. Ephesians 2:1-3 is one of the most complete ones:

As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath.

The first thing Paul says is that we were dead, meaning spiritual death. We were totally unresponsive to the God of Scripture. Spiritually dead people cannot receive and embrace the gospel. Paul said in 1 Corinthians 2:14, "The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned."

Paul then goes on and says we followed "the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient." This is a reference to Satan. I know for me I don't like to think that I was a follower of the Devil, but that is what the Bible says.

Next, Paul tells us that we were gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature. Paul describes this nature in Romans 8:7-8: "The sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so. Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God."

Here are some words of Charles Wesley. He was a famous Methodist hymn writer from way back..

Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature's night;
Thine eye diffused a quick'ning ray;
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell of, my heart was free;
I rose, went forth, and followed thee


No comments: